Monday 12 March 2007

vanity at the gym

i was at the gym today (again... since i'm there everyday...) and i was using that sit-down thigh machine... you know, the one where you have your legs spread wide and you have to bring them together... sorry for the visuals on that one... had to be explained though. anyway, i'm sitting there, listening to my ipod, minding my own business (like i always* do) and this woman comes up to me and starts babbling on in korean.

"i'm sorry, i don't speak korean," i say.
"shorts," she replies, "small," and she started to poke at my shorts.

i was in a pretty odd position and my shorts were riding up my thigh a little, but they aren't too small. they're the same ones that i pick up at the gym everyday. i can't read the signs, so i always take a pair from the pile where i got them the first day. anyway, i tried to 'shrug' her off by pretending i didn't know what she was talking about, but she wouldn't let up. even when i started doing my next set she was standing there in my way.

finally i said "well if i don't care then you shouldn't" - not that she could understand what i was saying... but i needed to say it. in all honesty, they might be a tad tight, but not so much that it is offensive... not like all the korean men with their speedos! but just try being a little bigger in a society where size zero is the norm... then tell me how easy it is to find clothes! the woman wasn't even wearing the gym clothe, she had her own fancy and expensive track suit.

eventually she went away... but come on! it's none of your business what i look like at the gym. this is really just another example of the vanity that exists here.

0 comments: