Friday 23 March 2007

late again...

well, there go any plans i might have had for the weekend. i was planning a trip to teongyeong with kat, chris, and angela but decided earlier this week that i wasn't feeling up to it. good thing i cancelled before. i didn't get paid again.

i spoke to the guy from the provincial office of education and he told me that there is a new supervisor in gimhae. she forgot to pay us. when i asked what would happen if i forgot to go to school, he told me i would be fired. but this woman is allowed to forget to pay me. WTF??!?!?! this is the third, maybe fourth (i'll have to check) time that this has happened now. every time i tell them the same thing - you must pay me on time, i have a contract and you are breaking it. they don't ever seem to get the message. i'm so angry right now and there is nothing i can do. nothing.

anyway, i told the guy that if i wasn't paid by monday at four that i was going to the labour board. i guess i can do my research over the weekend since i have nothing else to do now. i can always take money from my canadian accounts, if i feel like paying upwards of 20$ in fees, which i don't. why should i have to pay for their mistake? it's the same thing every time, and they just never have an answer for that one. the crazy part is that it's such a simple thing to do. i don't know why they can't just set it up to pay me every month. you can go to any bank machine in korea and transfer money to another korean account, so why can't they just do that? Answer: it's the end of the week and now there isn't time. it's always one story after another. how can the koreans expect to continue to attract foreigners to their schools if the ability to pay on time is ignored. i've said it before and i'll say it again, anyone who wants to teach in korea, don't come to the gimhae public school system.

162 days til i can say goodbye to this crap.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Liz,

Same thing happened to me my first month here. There excuse was that the other foreigner in my city hadn't submitted his bank information yet and they wanted to pay us at the same time. It ended up being a week late. I found out that our pay isn't a nice neat automatic thing--that there's like ten pages of forms that they have to fill out every week and that it has to go through multiple layers of bureaucracy.

I've since made friends with the lady in the money dept and she hounds them to even get me paid early sometimes. Ideally we'd get paid same time every month, but it couldn't hurt to grease the wheels.