Thursday 8 March 2007

thoughts on a new school

today was my first day of teaching at my new school. there are some very big differences between the two. at some point early in the day i wondered what my life would have been like for the last six months had i originally been assigned to this school. i'm still not in a position to really know that, nor will i ever be, it's still interesting to note the many variances (albeit sometimes small) between the two schools.

first. as soon as i arrived my co-teacher met me at the gate. she had some things that she needed to tell me, and i think that she was there because it was her 'day' to stand guard in the morning (there are always teachers greeting the students as they arrive in the morning)... but it was still nice to have a familiar face first thing.

second. the principal invited me for a morning coffee. the p-man at my other school never even says hello to me - even if i say it to him. the new P has actually made a weekly coffee date with me... thursdays at 3:30. he also invited me to go to a buddhist temple with him so i could learn more about his religion.

third. when i was seen cleaning my keyboard (which obviously had never exposed to any kind of cleaning product, even a light dusting, in it's ten-year service) a teacher came by and offered to just get me a new one, which he did.

fourth. the classes are split between girls and boys. even numbered classes for girls and odd numbered classes for boys. you would think that teaching an entire class of 15-year-old boys would be darn near impossible, and keeping in mind it was the first one, it was actually easier than teaching a mixed group. ditto for the girls classes. they were just all so excited to see me, but the dynamic is so different and it just works. ALL middles schools should do this.

fifth. the teachers bathroom has lights, soap, paper towel, and is actually clean. though there is no western toilet (anywhere that i've been able to find) the squatters are okay...

sixth. about ten teachers asked me if i had had lunch. they wanted to make sure that i ate... no one ever asks me to go for lunch with them at the other school. i was also offered coffee throughout the day by numerous teachers.

seventh. i have to pay for the cafeteria lunch. i've been lucky with this so far and have never paid for lunch at my other school... the one kindness of the VP.

eighth. my 'team teachers' actually helped during class with more than just translation. i spent the day making teams in each class and having them pick out team names and individual english nicknames... the two teachers that i work with both printed out a list of english names to help the students choose... i hadn't even thought of it! how silly of me... but i was just going around and thinking up names on my own, duh! a printout! wow!

i think i'll stop there for now... i'm sure there will be more to come. don't get me wrong, it isn't all roses, i have five lessons a day, which is really pushing it, but it was okay. the students seemed receptive, the teachers very kind, ditto with the VP and the P. all in all it was a long but very gratifying day.

2 comments:

Travelling Chick said...

yay! so good this change is bringing out the positives..in the middle school system and you! just keep coming back to this post upon any sign of frustration..:) see ya this weekend?

katrina said...

hey that's awesome liz, that's how it's supposed to be (i think)...
:-) I'm happy you're finding your new school an improvement...!