Thursday 30 November 2006

korean commercials

i've been meaning to write about this since i stopped watching korean tv about a month and a half ago... yes, i have a tv in my apartment and it's not even plugged in. when i first got here it was my saviour. i could find many an american show to watch; friends, gilmore girls, alias (not that i did), everybody hates chris, sex and the city, and many many more.

for the first two weeks i could deal with the commercials by changing the channel or using the oh-so-convenient 'mute' button on my remote. as time passed, however, i got so sick and tired of the commercials that i just started downloading tv onto my computer - commercial free.

so, what makes korean commercials so bad? well, first, they aren't interspersed throughout the show like in NA - they are on for about 15-20 minutes straight. they often repeat the same ad several times, and sometimes the same one is on back to back. second, korean commercials (a lot of them anyway) are much akin to north american informercials - a man and a woman standing in front of a product and (to my ears anyway) yelling at you to buy it OR they have really bad K-pop (korean pop music) playing.

but the number one reason i stopped was cause i couldn't get the sunkist lemonade ad song out of my head. even after not hearing it for weeks it just pops into my head and i have to go buy some lemonade. the kids at school sing the song in the halls too. there is no escaping it. so, for your viewing/listening pleasure, here it is. it's slightly different than the one that i saw on tv, but you get the idea. argh!




now try to tell me that you'd keep watching after hearing that two or three times in a row ten times a night!

6 comments:

Travelling Chick said...

kay you GOTTA show me how to upload video on my blog! lovin it! also liking the post today...so true abou commercials!..and now I can save myself the trouble from trying to write something today as my brain is fried from all the kindy report cards!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Elmobong.com said...

Hey Liz!
I'm not sure this song will stay in my head... unless I keep on pressing on that play button. What is he singing?
It's pretty cheezy!
CB Love ya! xoxo

Elizabeth said...

what just cause i wrote one blog about tv??? you're completely disregarding all the other posts of late - B for one... gosh! lol... miss you loads... if you ever read this. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to looooooove the K-pop. Go Bi! Yank up your shirt. That has EVERYTHING to do with laptop computers!

Last night my friend Hyewon and I were watching some Korean music awards. I was joking with her about how weird Korean commercials are, acting out the "dah dah dah dah, a kong kong il!" commercial with Hong Kong in it. I started acting out the Screaming McDonalds Ad--and what do you know? It came on.

And in that commercial period, it was on 4--yes, count them--4 times. "Ahhhh! AHahAHahAH! AHHHHHHHHHHH!"

She was rolling on the floors (literally. It was cold, we were on the floor) laughing.

Anonymous said...

And by Hong Kong, my stayed up too late talking about visiting Hong Kong self would mean...King Kong.

Anonymous said...

the sunkist commercial kills...i'm not korean but i love those boys from fly to the sky -- brian and hwanhee minus of course the totally cheesy parody of spanish or was it french or italian and bollywood songs.