Wednesday 11 October 2006

North of here...

I wasn’t going to write a complete post on this, but since Neil asked… I am using “allegedly” because it hasn’t yet been proven, despite “reports.”

here it is.

On Monday, North Korea allegedly tested a nuclear bomb in Hwadae, about 100 kilometers north of Pyongyang. Reports state there was no leakage of radioactive matter and the test was a success. It won’t be known for about two weeks if the test was in fact what the North Koreans claim it to be.

Living in South Korea at this time means a lot of different things. Many people wonder am I scared or worried? Well, yes and no.

I am not particularly worried that North Korea will send a nuclear bomb down my way any time soon. It just wouldn’t make sense for them to do it. I believe that these tests are meant to show the world that Kim Jong-Il is serious about nuclear weapons, but would he really be stupid enough to use one on the South? My answer is no. The international community is basically ready for it. The UN is already discussing these measures by considering creating a new resolution that would include the Charters’ Chapter 7 – which authorizes the use of military action against North Korea if they are a “threat to peace.”

Many nations involved are more interested in negotiations with the North than in actual military action – which is a good thing. I believe this is exactly what Kim is looking for. He wants to have some leverage on the world stage, and thinks this is the way to achieve it. Is he right? Probably not, and as they say, only time will tell.

So, am I scared? No, not really. At the same time, I am living in a country that is technically at war – something I didn’t actually realize until I got here – how come no one told me? Anyway, on a daily basis it doesn’t feel or seem like we are at war here, but you definitely start thinking about it when something like this happens. I still need to register with Canadian Foreign Affairs – I’ve been waiting until I got a phone. There’s no point in giving them all my info if they can’t contact me in the case of an emergency… of course, I have people here who would tell me what to do if need be. So I’m not worried, but I do know what I need to know in case of any kind of emergency.

So, don’t worry about me, it can’t be any worse than being neighbours with the United States for the last thirty years!!! (or am i just making light of a pretty crazy situation? - comments please...)

--for up-to-date info check out this article by the Korea Herald and check them for regular updates as well... Korea's number one english paper!!! (i could hotly debate that one, but i'll leave it for another post...but i according to this article, i could be home sooner than i think... we'll have to see what happens...

stay tuned for ... gimhae national museum and liz's second attempt at cooking Korean.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

1st. congrats on your halloween class! I know how hard you worked, your success is well-deserved!!

2nd. the second explosion that the article references turned out to be a small earthquake in Japan, I think - or at least that's what cnn was reporting this morning...

3rd. DFAIT has not issued any travel warnings for South Korea as of yet (not even a "heads-up") so I'm taking that as a sign of (some) safety...

4th. All those missiles by the DMZ are pointed at Seoul anyways. Saved by that split second (korean location) decision we made months ago!

Unrelated: I FINALLY SAW A SCENIC SITE TODAY!! 1 down, 11 to go! (woooooo!)