Monday 16 October 2006

home?

today i finally got letters from Canada - three of them! i'm almost sure this means that the post office wasn't sure what to do with them for quite a while. they were all sent at least a couple of days apart - not to mention that two of them were stapled together (very odd). anyway, one was from my mom, one from my grandma (i've been corresponding with her since i was a little girl) and the last (but not least) was from Bilal. i call him my nephew because his mother (Alexia) is like a sister to me - we've known each other for twenty years. he sent me pictures of his trip to France in the summer and a drawing that he made for me. since he's only just turned five, he can't write yet, so his mom wrote it for him, but he signed it. i miss him a lot and call him semi- regularly so he won't forget me! though i don't think he actually will. anyway, it was really nice to get letters from "home". especially since i got them right after coming home from the homeplus (!home!) after buying my first Korean houseplant! haha! so much HOME - a good enough title for this post, i think! anyway, i usually have a black thumb (not green) but i figured what's two dollars?


buying it went something like this:

me with hands in the air: sun?
korean lady (in korean): two thousand.
me with hands waving in the air: sun?
korean lady: no. no sun.
me: okay. i'll take it!

my apartment does get some sun, but i want this for my kitchen where i don't think it'll get much light, i wrote the name down in korean "shinsangbum" and will investigate to see what kind of care it requires. it's just a little thing, the picture makes it look bigger than it is, but hopefully i won't kill it. maybe i should talk to it, give it a name? then i'll really be certifiable! talking to my plants! haha! anyway, i'll let you know if i kill it.

so where's home really? thoughts? comments?

0 comments: