Thursday 26 October 2006

international banking...continued

ok, so i was getting to the part about the cute banker...but TOTALLY got side-tracked on that last post... yesterday i got paid, on time, though not quite in full as far as i can tell... i've got the dork working on it for me now... should be hearing about it next month - if i'm lucky. point is, i DID get paid, and on time to boot!

so i got off work early to head to my "bank" where i withdrew a million won. this is one of the strangest things that i do on a regular basis... the maching at my bank will only let me take out 700,000 at a time, so i have to make two withdrawals and then take the hundred bills i have to the bill counting machine to make sure i haven't been ripped off. yes, 100 bills! the largest common bill here in korea is the 10,000 won note... so, a million won, is 100 of these puppies.

anyway, i take my money stuff it in a paper bag (supplied by the bank), then stuff it in my purse, and walk out. i'm always a little paranoid about this, thinking that someone is going to mug me, but i only have to walk a block. though now that i've posted this here, i think i'll get them to transfer it electronically...i'll have to figure that one out... anyway, i take my money to JJ my wonder banker and he takes care of everything for me. he always gets me a great exchange rate, and never charges me for the wire transfer....

of course, there was that time that he totally screwed up the western union transfer for my bro, so now he owes me... at least that's what the korean english teacher who sits next to me says... so i finally gave him my number yesterday, we'll try and go out for some pizza soon. but he works until 9pm every night and lives in busan - and hour and a half on the bus. maybe he'll drive his car one day... anyway, he called me last night just to chat, and it was all right - though i did find out he doesn't like drinking beer - or alcohol at all for that matter... wonder if he's maybe really religious... gets ya thinking anyway. i don't think i'm going to pursue the matter really, but it's nice having a friend at the bank.

2 comments:

Liza said...

Yeah, banking in a foreign country just makes you want to rip your hair out, doesn't it? I feel your pain...

katrina said...

um, he doesn't drink beer? uh oh.