Saturday 23 February 2008

my worst nightmare

Anyone who has known me for any length of time (or has been reading this blog from the beginning) will know that I have a herniated disc in my back. My L4 vertebrae to be precise.

It went undiagnosed for many years, with doctors saying I was having severe muscle spasms every time it flared up. About a year and a half ago, my (amazing) doctor at Concordia finally sent me for a CT scan which confirmed her suspicions of the herniation. I won't go into details, since there are already lots on this blog (check here to find out more on herniated discs and what they are), but, needless to say, it is a constant worry in the back of my mind. As any medical problem should/would be.

After the diagnosis, where I spent about 4 weeks in bed, and another 4 recuperating - going to physiotherapy twice a week and doing small exercises hourly. I decided that I never wanted to have to go through that agony again - It is like having a large, sharp knife dug deep into your spine with someone twisting it around and around.

I was crazy about doing the exercises given to me by my physiotherapist and decided that the best way to avoid having to go through that pain ever again would be to lose weight and get fit. I haven't had another inflammation since then. I knew I was jinxing myself last month when I thought to myself that it had been SO long since my back had gone out... on thursday, the pain started. By 4 PM, I couldn't sit in my chair at work anymore.

I came home, took some muscle relaxants that were left over from the last time (and which I have trekked around the world with me) and lay down. By friday morning, I wasn't feeling any better, so I went to the hospital.

In the UK, everyone has to have a GP, but since I'm new here, and haven't gotten around to getting one (I have a registration appointment in two weeks) I had to go to the A&E (accident and emergency).

I first tried the closest "walk in centre" but they told me there wouldn't be a doctor until the afternoon and I'd be better off going to an emergency room at the hospital. So, armed with my CT scan and x-ray results, i made the trek to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead.

I had to wait about an hour before being called in to see the doctor (who, I think was younger than me). I gave him a run-down of my history and my symptoms and told him I should probably be seeing my GP but that since I don't have one, I had no choice but to come to A&E.

He prescribed me diazepam (that's what they use here for muscle spasms, in Canada I always got flexeril) and a codeine based pain killer. Then he told me to follow up with a GP, get to a physiotherapist ASAP and sent me on my way.

All in all, my first medical experience in the UK was all right. It was better than the time I went to hospital in Korea (see here) and faster than any visit I've ever had to ER in Canada. It only cost me 9£ for the prescription too, which is WAY less than Canada and certainly less than it cost me to get stitches in Korea.

A day later and about 18 hours of sleep and I'm actually feeling quite a bit better. This episode has brought home (again) that my worst nightmare (my back going out like it did in 2006) is an ever-present reality and that scares me.

1 Comment:

Elmobong.com said...

Hey liz, glad you're feeling a bit better. I was getting worried... your title and the start of your post. But I guess and hope things go better for you. I'm really proud of what you previously posted about your job interviews. Keep up your great spirit and the ONE job that's been waiting for you will come along. I'll cross my fingers (and toes) :-)
Love you honey!