Friday 29 February 2008

Leap Day

I figured since this day only rolls around once every four years that I should probably post something to mark the occasion.

So, for those of you who don't know, this will be a little lesson in what leap days are all about. *on an aside, I taught some of my kiddies in SK about leap days though I think the only thing they came away with in the lesson was the word "leap".

As we all know one solar (calendar) year is 365 days long. This calendar is based on the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun. It actually takes the Earth 365. 2422 days to complete its revolution, but that would screw with time pretty badly since we have 24 hours in a day. Imagine a clock that had 12.2 hours on it? Basically, we have an extra six hours in the year that we need to deal with.

So, way back, Julius Casar (famous for the salads?) decided that any year divisible by four would be a "leap year", thus creating the leap day.

Now, it's all a little more complicated than this, (and believe me, my lesson to the kiddies really was much more exciting with pictures, and calculations and things) but this is really all I can be bothered to write on the subject... if you really want to know more click here.

I just wanted to mark the occasion in my own little way. I never think too much about the leap year, but it was stuck in my brain today. I have a friend who has a family day every leap day - it's okay to miss birthdays, holidays, and other events, but the whole crew has to be there on 'V' day as they refer to it (actually they use their last name, but I don't want to write it without permission). I think that's a really great idea... I hope you're having a fab 'V' day.

Another suggestion would that the day is always is a holiday... I mean, come on, once every four years? The government ought to look into it. Everyone is always complaining about how there's no holiday in February, so if the government really doesn't want to give in and make one, then they could just make leap day a holiday and be done with it.

Anyway... happy leap day everyone... at least we'll all get paid for an extra days' work this year...

1 Comment:

kim joo mee said...

Your kids probably didn't even learn to say 'leap'

they probably said 'reap'