Wednesday 27 February 2008

Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley is a children's story by Jeff Brown. It's about a boy who gets flattened by a bulletin board. Although it sucks to be flattened, he makes the most of it and mails himself really cool places.

My good friend Kat (of the adventures of liz and kat in korea fame) has started her own flat Stanley project with her students (she actually still lives in SK). I got an email from her a week ago asking for help. Attached in the email were two flat Stanley's and a letter from a group of Korean students. I was instructed to take my Stanleys out on the town and show them around London. So I did, despite being thought insane by half the population of the city!

This is the "letter" that I'll be sending back to the kids who sent me their Stanley's... I hope you enjoy it and that they eventually do too!

Dear students:

Thank you for sending me your Stanley's. I live in London, England, but my home is Canada. I was very excited to show your two Stanley's some things in London that are different than Korea. I used to be a teacher in Korea, just like Katrina. I hope you like the pictures and that this will make you learn more about England.

The first thing I wanted to show you was the difference between a Korean and an English post (mail) box.



Then we headed to the bus stop to catch a double-decker bus to the Tube (subway) station. Though I couldn't get a picture of them outside the bus without missing it sorry. We went straight to the second floor and the big window in front.


What a view! We got to the Tube station and waited for the train.

They were amazed that we didn't have to wait for more than a few minutes and we all got our own seats.


We were lucky that the Jubilee (subway) line took us right into the heart of the city. Where we got to see all kinds of sights. Starting with the London Eye:


And what would a visit to London be without seeing Big Ben?


My two little friends were lucky they weren't blown away into the Thames river while we looked at the Parliament buildings... I managed to catch them before they flew away!


Then on our way to St James Park (Buckingham Palace - where the Queen lives - is) we stopped to investigate a telephone booth:


We finally made it to Buckingham Palace right before the batteries in my camera died... so we were lucky to get one picture there:


All in all, it was a fun day of walking in the city. We saw lots of interesting people and places. I hope they had as good of a time as I did. And I hope that you enjoyed the pictures and this project.

If you want to know more about London, you can write to me again!

Sincerely,

Liz

**

For the rest of you out there, click the links if you want to know more about Flat Stanley, or the official Flat Stanley project.

**
And as an aside, my back is feeling much better, but I'm still taking it easy...

4 comments:

kim joo mee said...

ha! Steve and MeiLi had a flat stanley with them when they visited me in Korea last year! He got a little torn up over that trip though - haha!

Anonymous said...

So, so, charming. A great way to get children interested in other cultures and, I suppose writing about them?

Hope your back improves steadily.

Elmobong.com said...

That is so cute Liz... cool pics too!

Debbi said...

liz this story made my day. does life get better than england ?
im 'doing time' at my moms house to save for more travel. hope to be out soon!