Sunday 7 January 2007

up, up, and, well, down.

this afternoon i was sitting in my apartment watching a little tv on my computer. i could see the sun shining in through my windows and despite the illusion of warmth outside i knew it was cold. but i decided that i needed to get out of the house for a bit... i'm going to the movies later, but why waste an entire afternoon waiting to go out? so i thought i'd go for a walk... maybe climb part way up the mountain next door, see a bit more of my 'hood in the woods...


i haven't climbed any of the mountains around here yet. i don't know what's really stopping me other than i'm not really the mountain climbing type... but i think i'm going to try to change that and become a mountain hiking kind of gal... today was the first.

i headed up the street walking beside the mountain, looking for a trail into the woods. i didn't find one... i kept walking until i found a road that goes up the mountain towards the gimhae astronomical observatory (which is on the other side of said mountain). i turned up. i walked for quite a while, but i forgot my ear muffs and i was getting cold... so i didn't make it all the way up, but i get pretty far for the first try... and at least i got off my butt, worked my lungs and heart, and saw a pretty nice view.

really i just felt like being close to nature, but with cars passing me every three minutes, and no trails into the woods, it's unlikely that i'll get anywhere close to nature without going a lot farther i.e. the mountain on the other side of my neighbourhood... next time!

i did manage to discover a place to go tobogganing, maybe later in the week or next weekend...
toboganning - up the street from my house

the road up the mountain - not very steep here, but it DID get steep!
see? (this was on the way down)

just thought this one was neat...

stay tuned, i'll be heading to ulsan in a few days, so there are bound to be some "great adventures of kat and liz" coming up!!!

2 comments:

katrina said...

congrats on the mountain climbing!!

:-) you know, next time I'm in Gimhae for a couple days, I'd love to climb up to that wall thingy that you can see by the homeplus...!

kim joo mee said...

I'll come to your neck of the woods anyday. I love climbing. There's a great hike in Samgye also. Plus I want to walk to the observatory, perhaps we could make our own trail. I'm sure we could get some cutting tools pretty cheap:) Have a great vacation!