Friday 16 June 2006

to the SAAQ we go ... again and again and again and again and again and again... ...

i don't know if in the heat of everything that has been going on if i mentioned that i passed my driving exam. i must have, i think that there's a post all about below... anyway, i was told that my license would arrive by mail by June 16th - today - and that if i didn't get it that i should call a number on my provisionary license. well, of course, this being quebec, it didn't arrive. why on earth would i have expected it to? nothing from the quebec government is ever right. so i called the number - i should have waited until monday, the stress just doesn't help my back - and the guy who answered is like, (in a terrible french accent) "well, maybee da canadA post, day didn't send it, like supposed too. we send hit from us. now you ave to call dem to see if day loose it. den you ave go back to saaq to get da pitcher done hagain." this is fucking crazy. what the fuck is wrong with the quebec government that they can't EVER do ANYTHING correctly. look at my room mate - she sent off for her new medicare card in JANUARY and STILL hasn't got it. when she called them, they told her that they sent it which means that SHE MUST HAVE LOST IT. WTF???? so she has to pay again and pray that it gets to her this time. anyway, here is the email that i sent to the "complaints department" of the saaq - i'll be sruprised if anyone down there can READ english. here it is:

There are many things that I can complain about the SAAQ. Getting my first driver's license has been more trouble than it is worth. first the strike last year - occurred the day before my original written exam -after already waiting over 2 months to do that, I had to wait another 2 months. when finally I was able to write my exam it took over five hours to get through it, even though the test only took 20 minutes. I was shuffled around from one line to another - never receiving even a smile from a single employee.


my driving exam was scheduled in late April - the earliest appointment available was on June 7th. over a month and a half later! my "appointment" was for 12:10 pm. the security guard at the front door of the henri bourassa center wouldn't let me take a number until the time of my "appointment". this should not be called an "appointment for a driving exam", as you call it, rather it should be an "appointment to take a number." finally as I walked into the waiting room, almost every single employee left their windows and went off to lunch - leaving me sitting and waiting for almost two hours while employees wandered around doing nothing. why would you schedule an "appointment" in the beginning of the lunch hour? it just get things even more backlogged. ridiculous that I could see all of the employees chatting in the back room and ignoring the 300 people waiting to be served - why aren't the breaks staggered like any other place of business - you can't send all of your employees to lunch at the same time without closing the shop!!!


Finally being allowed to take my exam, and passing it, just to come back and get ANOTHER NUMBER (this being the fourth or fifth) to wait to have my photo taken. while getting my photo taken, the woman noticed an error in my address (which I had just changed with the first agent I spoke with (I wrote it down for him and he STILL didn't enter it correctly) she changed it by removing one letter from the street name (good thing she knew Decarie and how it was spelled)


finally after almost three hours (better than last year but still too long) I was free. having been given a temporary piece of paper permit and being told that I would get my license by the 16th of June. well, today is the 16th, it isn't here and the rude man that I just spoke with on the phone told me that it's MY responsibility to got BACK to the saaq AGAIN and have my picture taken again and they would mail it again AFTER that.


it is utterly ridiculous the way that I have been treated by all the employees that I have encountered at the saaq both last year and this year. the man on the phone basically called me an idiot by telling me that maybe I didn't see it in my mailbox. excuse me? I’m not blind, or I wouldn't be allowed to drive. I have a herniated disk in my lower back (partly due to sitting and waiting so long at the saaq last week) and can't even get out of bed for another week and yet, I am expected to get to the saaq before June 26th to have you take a photo that you already have on file - twice.


the service that I have received from your "company" (if only it were privatized maybe we would get some real service) is abominable, shameful, and disgusting. your employees (thanks to the union probably) lack enthusiasm and any drive to be helpful; instead they are constantly scowling at customers and treating them like they are a hassle, as if the people who pay their salaries are disturbing them somehow. and lucky me, I get to do it all over again. and if Canada post manages to lose it the next time, then it will be my fault again, and I will have to go through the process until the end of time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your coments about SAAQ.Me and my family had so much trouble traying to obtain a driver's license. In fact as of today Oct. 5th 2006 is only me that has one. Every time I called to make an "appointment" for a number:-) I spoke to a different person. Each person told me different things. Whenever I asked What do we need in order to obtain the license I got different answers. Not to mention that my son and my husbant had appointments and they went there just to be told that they couldn't find their app. on the computer. And they had to wait again for another appointment. And another and another and is been going on since May 2006. It is also true that the people that work for SAAQ are rude, never smile and they don't care about the people they should serve with respect couse this are indeed the people that pays for their salaries. It's frusrating and I guess nothing can be done. Only one solution I can think of, To move out:-)I'm pretty sure there are many people in Qc that are as frustrated as I am. Only if they would speak up. I use to live in other provinces and also in USA for nine years and never seen anything like this. Well I'm hopping for the best next time:-)

Anonymous said...

I just moved back to Montreal after living in Toronto for 25 years. I have to go the SAAQ to get my licence permit transfered from Ontario to Quebec. sounds like it will be a real treat.
Is there one office thats better than another? I'm even considering keeping my Ontario plates and licence. using a friends address
for mailing purpose.

Elizabeth said...

i can't beleive how much traffic this post is getting! hope you're all reading the rest of them too...

i don't know if one office is better than the other, but i do know that it's easier when you're just transferring a license from another province. a friend of mine did that a few years ago...she didn't have a great experience but not nearly as bad as me... good luck at any rate.

Unknown said...

hello to all, well complaining only here will not help and will not help any others, it is all up to us, the SAAQ is an institution financed by us therefore all its Employees are our Employees and if they don't feel to be friendly to us, we will have to do something about since we are the client and paying their bread on the table.
I have a fight right now on my hands with these guys and I will pull it through I might call for support on the public to give me a hand and the power. Its time to teach the the QC GV employees how to behave and show who has the power. Did you guys know that European drivers permit do not expire because its a certificate and one you know how to drive you don't loose that, well yes when you are loosing your brain than yes. We are all giving the privilege to them to collect money for no services rendered. I love when they say Oh having a drivers permit is a privilege well time to look up what a privilege is than you find out who is privileged here.
We all must look at their rules more critical and not accept everything as it is.
I will report to here the out come also if I cant get through their head I will open a forum where all can talk about these problems.
Regars to all for now

Photog said...

I came across this while researching how many people are affected financially with the new law making it almost impossible to get a learners and drivers license.

I am 40 and held my learners but left the country for studies and work. I never needed it where I was. Now they expect me to pay close to $1000 dollars for mandatory driver training and pass half the course before even being allowed to get learners.

The law states I do not have to because I held a learners before. But the SAAQ reads the law as they wish. They are destroying lives as may depend on license in Canada for employment. Also it is discriminatory.

Read my blog and keep posted. I am trying to fight this as many others are. And we need all the hep we can get! They are a CORRUPT money greedy, and DO NOT care about anything other than THEIR revenue and ability to dictate to the citizen that PAYS their WAGES, as government workers are "public servants" lest they forget. Employed by those that were voted in via the TAX PAYER. My blog is below.

http://tiredofpolitics.blog.ca/2010/02/18/tired-of-canada-quebec-and-the-saaq-already-8028662/