Monday 12 June 2006

Bachelor of Arts with distinction Specialization Journalism

well, today was the day. convocation. having been laid up for the last 5 days, i was quite looking forward to getting out of the house and (finally) getting my degree. i was feeling pretty good this morning and managed to take a shower, get dressed, put on my make-up, etc... basically get ready for the big event. now, don't get me wrong, i wasn't feeling so great that i could do much more than get ready and then lie down for five or ten minutes. it was a long process, but i did it and still felt good enough to go to the ceremony. i think though, that if it had been any other event i wouldn't have gone. this was the ONE chance in my entire life to get my B.A. and share the moment with my classmates, friends, and family. it is a once in a lifetime deal - and as usual, i decided to deal with the consequences later. (which i am paying for now.)

the ceremony took place at Place des Arts, in Montreal, the last (and only) time i was there (before today) was when i was in grade 8 or 9 and saw the Phantom of the Opera. the stage was decorated in our school colours, huge bouquets of flowers, and of course, chairs for all of the deans, professors, etc...

the ceremony was long, it was sort of boring, and it was painful. since my lower back is in spasm (prev. post) any position other than lying down is painful. so sitting in the old crappy theatre chairs didn't help. about an hour in, i decided it would be better to stand, so i did. i stood on the side until my row stood up and we got in line for our turns on stage.

it kind of sucked being backstage, in line, while all of my friends were crossing the stage. i would have preferred seeing them up there instead of the entire faculty of economics. but i cheered for them anyway.

i was standing on the side of the stage and before i knew it, it was my turn. i gave my marshall card to a woman and walked to the podium. standing before me, Joanne L. (i interviewed her in the fall semester for a story that i was doing for TV), i was so surprised to see her that i didn't really have time to be nervous about being in front of so many people. i also magically forgot that my back was out and i walked to the president who "capped" me. this is when he hovers a funny hat over my head while getting my photo taken... i'll post it when i get it. then Enn the director of the department was standing at the other end of the stage holding a big white envelope containing my coveted degree. i walked towards him and pain shot through my leg, but i didn't flinch. i shook his hand, took my degree, and walked to the stairs. i stopped for a second to wave to everyone with a face splitting smile. (seems to me, that should be when they take your photo, not with the silly "sorting hat"! )

anyway, that's it. thirty seconds of my life that i will never forget...especially since i'm still not convinced that it was worth the pain that i'm in now. hopefully by tomorrow i'll feel a little more like i did this morning. so until next time...

0 comments: