Thursday 13 December 2007

stuff

It's been more than a few days, I'm sorry. I haven't felt like posting much and oddly, I still don't, but I am anyway.


I've been searching for a job all week. On the internet. With agencies. On the street. It looks like things may be looking up now, though I was pretty discouraged earlier in the week.

On Monday I met with my first agency. I had to take a bunch of tests. Word. Excel. Typing. I scored intermediate on all of them. What did I learn from that? I thought I was better at all of them than I actually am. The agency told me it was okay and that I'm employable, but that didn't mean they had anything for me.

I think I've applied to about 25 or 30 jobs online as well. Some of them I've heard from and some not. I got really discouraged when one guy told me to never mind when I told him that I was on a working holiday maker visa. That means that I can only work for 12 months, so who is he that he thinks he's so important that I'll still want to be working there a year from now?!

Anyway, I hit the streets in the area yesterday applying at all the pubs, restaurants, and cafe's that I could find. I also applied at a small photography store that was looking for someone. My job at York International wasn't on my CV since it was quite some time ago, but I worked in a retail photo store for about three and a half years. I was also sent on a Fuji Film Canada lab technician training. Oh, and did I mention that I studied photography for a number of years and worked as a photographer for a summer? They called me today. I'm going in tomorrow to see what it's all about and so they can meet with me and see if they like me.

I also got another call from a temp agency today and met with them this afternoon. They said that I have highly transferable skills and am highly employable - much nicer than the first agency. They might have something for me starting as early as next week, which would be nice.

After meeting with them I went to Paddington Station (wish I'd had my camera!!!) to get my tickets to Cambridge to visit Anna for the weekend. I'm really excited about it since I haven't seen her in a couple of years and I've known her for more than half my life! She's studying for her PhD there. Very cool. So, after the weekend I should have some nice updates about partying in the Uni town of Cambridge for you! See you then!

In the meantime here are two pictures of fuzz that grows all over the place here... everything is covered in green moss...



0 comments: