Tuesday 4 December 2007

it's only life after all

I'm leaving for the airport in about two and a half hours. So this will be my last post from Canada for a while. People keep asking me how long I'm going to the UK for, what I'll be doing there, and why I'm going. So as a last post, I thought I'd clear up the confusion.

When I was a teenager I dreamed of going to the UK. I couldn't have told you then, exactly why, and I still can't today, it's just something that I've always felt I needed to do. I hope to find whatever it is that deep down I'm looking for, maybe I won't, but at least I'll be able to say that I tried.

I think that one of the most important things in life is to live it - and I know from experience that it is often a lot easier said than done. If you would have told me five years ago that I'd have graduated from university, lived in Korea for a year, and was about to get on a plane (again) to head into the unknown, I probably would have laughed in your face. Yet, here I am.

Something inside of me changed. I don't want to just get through life like I used to (and so many do). I don't want to live a regular nine to five existence. I don't want to lose any opportunity that comes my way. These are a few of the things that I don't want, if only i could figure out what I DO want, then I'd be home free. Regardless, this is a start.

I want to explore the beautiful city that is London. I want to visit the English and Scottish countrysides. I want to go to Paris, Amsterdam, Spain, Portugal, Prague, and Morocco, but those are only a few of the places on "my list". It's time to "do" Europe, so I'm doing it. I'm not going to be unrealistic, I will be living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, making probably not that much money, but I'll get done what I can.

I don't know how long I'll be gone. I'm only allowed to work for twelve months in a two year period, but who knows what will happen in those twelve months. I'll be looking for a job in the media somewhere - either as a journalist, editor, copywriter/editor, photographer... you name it, I can do it!!! It's time to put that degree to use and what better place to start than in London? I'll never be bored that's for sure.

So, to those of you who think I'm crazy - if you're in Montreal look out the window and tell me that five feet of snow is better than a little rain, and to the rest of you, what are you so worried about? It's only life after all... and life is for living, n'est pas?

1 Comment:

katrina said...

I'm envious of you, and also proud to call you my friend. Even though you're crazy. Well, michin waygookins rock though, so...