Wednesday 5 December 2007

in London at last!

My flight arrived about an hour late this morning. We were stuck flying around the airport for ages before we could land. Then we had to wait for our gate... nothing more annoying when you're on a flight than to sit for forty minutes staring at the airport out the window!! Oh well. I got in a cab (yes the fancy black ones, though mine was blue) and a half hour into the journey I realized that I should have tried to navigate the train with my luggage... another "oh well."

I wasn't too keen on taking a cab into the city, but there was a time constraint with Lisa having to get to work and we just thought it would be faster and easier. It wasn't. That's all I have to say about that.

Lisa's house

I arrived after Lisa left for work, but her flatmate Kate was here to greet me with a coffee. I wandered around the house in a daze for a while then decided to take a nap. I couldn't sleep, so I managed to log on to the wireless internet (!) here and check my mail and facecrack. Then I did take a nap - for about two and a half hours, which will hopefully get me through until it's bedtime.

Warning!

After I woke I went for a walk in the area. It's a very pretty neighbourhood just west of the city center... I believe it's called Kilburn, anyway, the nearest Tube station is Queen's Park, which is on the Bakerloo Line.

Around the neighbourhood... old trees have all been chopped like this

A neat entryway...

No drinking!!!

My walk took me to Queen's Park, which was part of the 1879 Royal Kilburn Agricultural Show, attended by none other than Queen Victoria. After the show the 30 acre site was given up for "free use and enjoyment by the public", and so, in 1886, the City of London acquired the land. The park was originally named Kilburn Recreation Ground, until the Queen gave her permission to rename it in honour of her Golden Jubilee. Queen's Park was officially opened on November 5th 1887 - exactly 120 years and one month ago.

In the park

So here I sit in Lisa's lovely living room. I'm going to take a shower and get ready for a couple of Lisa's friends who are coming round for dinner - Thai green curry!!! mmmmm... So, until we meet again, which should be soon... coming up: looking for a job and a flat.

0 comments: