Tuesday 20 November 2007

SNOW!

I had forgotten about snow. Well, not really, but in the way that you forget what sand between your toes feels like, or the taste of salt water on your lips after you get out of the ocean. I was rather rudely reminded of snow this morning and also completely unprepared for it.

I first noticed it when I looked out the back door. I was bending over to pick up my shoes to bring them to the front of the house, and there is was, covering the balcony in all of its glowing brilliance. I didn't notice that it was still snowing until I opened the front door to walk to the bus stop.

It was kind of magical at first. I haven't seen snow in a while now... well, let's say a year and a half, but I grew up here in Canada and last year was my first snow-less winter. While I did miss it when I didn't have it, I don't miss it anymore. It's one more reason for me to leave Canada. I joke a lot with friends by saying "I think I'm going to spend the rest of my life avoiding winter". While I do despise the white stuff, it was kind of pretty this morning, despite it's freezing wetness blowing in my face while waiting for the bus.

I purposely took a moment to try and enjoy it. It didn't work. There was snow in my coffee, snow in my hood, snow in the cuffs of my pants, snow in my shoes, and snow in my purse. It was blowing hard. And wet. And cold. Did I mention wet?

As I was waiting for the train (I take a bus to the train station) I noticed that it was the perfect texture for a snowball fight. I wonder what all of the other commuters would have thought if I'd actually picked some up and thrown it... I think snow is only fun when you're a kid and you can have snowball fights, or build snowmen. When you grow up the magic disappears and it just becomes a hassle. It creates more traffic, making it harder to get to work in the morning. It creates slippery sidewalks, which makes it hard for some people to be able to leave their houses. It's just a nuisance really. So I'll thank whoever that I got to have a little bit of 'Canadian Winter' today, but please, hold off the rest until I'm out of here...

0 comments: