Wednesday 21 February 2007

happy anniversary to me!

Today is my six-month anniversary. I arrived in Korea on August 21st 2006, so even though my contract anniversary isn’t for another week, it has been sixth months since I left the security and comfort of all I know/knew. I know I’ve already talked a lot on this blog about what it has been like for me to adjust to life here, but I feel like today is a special day (plus I’m bored at school with nothing to do). So I thought I’d list some of my favourite and some of my least favourite things about Korea.

Good thing #1 – there is no winter. That’s right. For the first time in my life it hasn’t gotten colder than about –2 degrees Celsius. There is no snow. No bitter wind cutting through your coat and then your skin. Plus winter is shorter here. They’re already saying if spring and February isn’t even over yet! It was so warm on my hike on Monday I had to remove layers and didn’t even need the earmuffs I brought along… I love it!

Bad thing #1 – cud-chewing cows are everywhere. No, not actual cows, but Koreans who chew like them. My biggest pet peeve in life, and it’s the national past time!

Good thing #2 – the food. I love Korean food. I was really worried about this when I arrived since my first taste was on the airplane (and we all know how bad airplane food is). Since then I have discovered a palette for kimchi, jigae, bosum, samgyupsal, bulgogi, dok boki, and numerous other dishes, which I still cannot name, but love. I especially love the Korean notion of side dishes. When you order a plate in a restaurant it automatically comes with three to ten other dishes – at no additional charge! And free refills if you want them! A meal that would cost 25$ in Canada ends up costing like 4$ here.

Bad thing #2 – it’s hard to cook at home. I do it, and I do it quite well, but it’s hard when the instructions are all in Korean and you have to guess what to do by simply looking at the pictures. It’s winds up being a lot of trial and error and more often than not, it’s error.

Good thing #3 – the cost of living is super low. It’s way cheaper to live well here. It helps that I don’t have to pay any rent and bills are relatively cheap as well. On the food front, it would probably be cheaper for me to just eat out all the time than to bother trying to cook.

Bad thing #3 – rudeness. I know you experience rudeness to some degree in every place in the world, but Koreans are particularly good at being rude. From spitting on the street (after hocking the loogie) to bumping into you when there is still five feet available, Koreans just don’t think they’re being rude when they are. Maybe it’s just my western way of thinking, but I just find it gross to listen to someone pull up a chunk from their lungs/throat and then see it hit the ground like a small bomb. Ick. And the bumping into others is a big problem…it’s called personal space, but in Korea it just doesn’t exist.

Good thing #4 – I have made some really great friends that make up for all the rudeness that I deal with on a daily basis.

Bad thing #4 – not understanding/speaking enough of the language. I can get by in daily transactions, and most Koreans are very understanding when I tell them “hangukmal chogum” (Korean little), but I do get the occasional ‘tsking’ and dirty looks because I don’t understand or can’t answer. A couple of the teachers at my school (not English teachers) have actually said to me that if I want to talk to them that maybe I should learn Korean. My reply? Maybe you should learn English! They have, after all, been learning it since childhood! I’ve only been here six months. Still, if I were to stay longer than one year (which I’m not) I would make more of an effort, like I did upon arrival.

I can’t really think of any more at the moment. But if you’ve been reading the blog regularly then you’re probably aware of the other good/bad things that I encounter. I think I’ll go out tonight and hang with the gang and celebrate my anniversary! I can’t believe it’s already half over! So little time and so much left to do. I’ll get on that list ASAP!

5 comments:

kim joo mee said...

congrats on 6 months...

in reference to your bad #1...remember when you were imitating the person on the subway and I got a little bit annoyed? I just thought of that.

horses ass.

Elizabeth said...

but that was the point of me doing it! i was just copying the hundreds of koreans around us who were doing the same thing!!! and ya, you know it! lol

Kimberbop said...

dude, i second the bad table manners...but you know, one time i got up after i was done eating to clear my plate and got into HUGE trouble cause that was being rude to them. it was hilarious but then i learned...

however, they did ask me once how i could keep my mouth closed while chewing. i am SO multi-talented (they being my relatives)

John said...

Salut Liz, you'll probably remember me as the guy who came to you just before he decided to left his job at a big financial institution qui se crissait de ses employés...

Je sais que je suis poche et que je suis pas venu lire ton blog très souvent depuis ton départ, mais bon, j'ai eu d'autres chats à fouetter...

Je faisais le tour de mes favoris internet ce soir et je tombe sur ton message de 6 mois! J'ai lu quelques messages et je suis bien content de voir que tu as l'air d'être heureuse. Tu vis quelque chose d'unique, profites-en!

J'espère que tu ne perds pas ton français (qui était devenu si beau après tes années à la TDBFG, sérieusement). Comme tu l'as si bien dit dans ton message, c'est important de parler la langue du pays d'où tu viens, ok, i'm just messing with you... but since we're a nation now... ;)

Take care Liz, I hope i'll see you "soon", enjoy your upside-down life on the other side of the world. I swear I'll try to read your blog more often, ton style d'écriture est assez fascinant.

xxx

Travelling Chick said...

ooooo parle francais sil vous plait!

loving the good bad list...

will want to chat to you soon...perhaps en francais !?!?!?!

ab
xx