Saturday 30 January 2010

running, running, running

So, when I lived in Korea I managed to drop (more than) a few dress sizes by getting fit and healthy. I did this by going to the gym 5-6 times a week and following weight watchers online... Well, a year of laziness and bad eating have got me back to almost where I started... so, I'm doing it again. The difference this time is that I won't be going to the gym 5-6 times a week, instead I'm going to run.

I started running last year (before becoming a sloth again) because I got bored with the gym. This posed several problems for me including the fact that I don't (didn't) like running and I didn't know how to run for longer than to catch the bus. So, I downloaded Podrunner by DJ Beatsmith.

Podrunner is music - but the beat and music changes at intervals - so you walk to start, then job when the music changes, and then walk, and then jog... you get the point. It's supposed to help you work your way up to running a full thirty minutes (or 5k) after ten weeks.

I managed to make it about week 5 the first time around - I've just finished week 2. You do each week three times in one week and then move on to the next level. So Monday morning I'll start week three - more running.

So far I'm feeling really good about it. I always get a little high when I finish my workout and it gives me confidence. the other day I actually 'ran' home from work... amazing!

Anyway, hopefully by mid-April I'll be up and running (pun intended!). I'm aiming for July though - just to be kind to myself... That's when I hope to take part in Cancer Research UK's Race for Life. So, watch this space for more on that and my odyssey of learning how to run.

1 Comment:

Travelling Chick said...

way to go lady friend!! i'm SO proud of you! look forward to following your running journey here - it's a powerful feeling to know that you started not being able to go around the block (like me!!) to suddenly going the distance without even knowing it :) GOOD ON YOU!!