Tuesday 6 May 2008

Cans Festival

On Sunday I headed down the Cans Festival with a couple of girlfriends. It's a graffiti festival that was set up on Leake Street, in a disused tunnel, near Waterloo station.

It was well advertised and in the media because Banksy was a part of it. There were tons of other world famous graffiti artists who spent days setting up the exhibit, as well as lots of lesser known artists. You could even sign up to paint once you arrived and there were quite a few artists jumping on the bandwagon. Good for them to be able to have their work next to that of the big names.

Instead of going on about it, though, here are some of my favourites in no particular order... sorry there are so many, I just couldn't cut it down any more!































It was, as you can see, an amazing exhibit. If you can believe it, I have another 120 or so photos from it.... So there are more!

I've heard that for some silly reason, the art will all be painted over eventually, at a cost of about £300,000! What's the point?? Leave it there for the generations to come! This was an example of art, not 'vandalism' as graffiti is often mistaken for. These were real artists, not silly taggers writing their name on the wall. It is real art. I hope you enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Elmobong.com said...

Crazy... wow! That was cool. I wish I was there. Thank you for the amazing pictures.
ps. I sent you an email

David White said...

liz, its great you took the time to photograph these artworks. I had no idea there was such a large scale of graffiti art in one place. Thats what you get for living in the boonies up North I guess. Beautiful thoughtful works and nicely captured too.