Sunday 30 April 2006

Getting ready...

...to send in my application to EPIK (English Program In Korea). Not only do i have to send them their application form duly filled out, but i also need: two letters of recomendation, a criminal record check, my renewed passport, a medical form filled in by my doctor, a medical form filled in by me, a personal essay (see below), my original degree (only getting that june 12), and original sealed transcripts. That's it. not much eh? haha. it's been a right pain in the ass getting it all ready, and i'm still waiting on a few things that will have to be sent separately from my application. i have to send it to Ottawa since that's where the embassy is, if i get an interview, i'll have to go there for the day to do it. Pray or keep your fingers crossed for me, whichever you prefer. anyway the deadline is coming fast but i think i'm ready. the more i think about it and the closer it comes to the time to leave, the more nervous i get. i'm excited, but also scared. anyway, here is the cheesy personal essay that i wrote for my application... hopefully it isn't too bad!

My name is Elizabeth Jane Mavor. I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I have just completed a Bachelor of Arts and Science Specialization Journalism at Concordia University. Journalism, and writing, have been passions of mine for as long as I can remember. Finishing my degree means that I now have the credentials to back me up. University was a great and difficult accomplishment, but I strived at it. Not only did I have a grade point average of at least 3.6 throughout, I was also a member of the Journalism Students’ Association (last year I was the President), and worked part-time (25 hours per week) at one of Canada’s leading financial institutions. The last four years of my life have been trying, but I overcame all obstacles so that I can now pursue one of my many life goals: to teach abroad.

The opportunity to teach in South Korea is not only about teaching but also about learning. I will do my best to ensure that my students can excel, and I will also do my best to excel in South Korea. The experience is also about what I will learn – about Korea, about myself, and about the world. I have longed to travel since I was a teenager; I have explored a few countries other than Canada, but never for more than a few weeks at a time. I look forward to being able to integrate myself in a new culture. I am also eager to learn as much about Korea as I can, and have already begun reading its history and learning the basics of the language.

Of course, teaching will be a new experience for me, but I have been told that I am patient and good at helping people. My job for the last three years has been to help customer service representatives with whatever they needed. I know that I can explain things in an easy to understand way. I enjoy helping others; there is nothing better than the satisfaction of a job well done – especially when someone else is even happier that you were able to assist them. I hope to use as many tools as possible to help my teaching, including, video, print, audio, and art, to name a few. I would like to be in an engaging, and pleasurable environment, as I’m sure the students will.

I know that I work well in groups, having been a member of the Journalism Students’ Association for the last two years – last year I was the president. I organized events with upwards of 70 guests, while coordinating the rest of the JSA members. As a financial officer I budgeted expenses and signed for purchases. I was a liaison between the Department of Journalism and the student body – representing student interests and keeping up to date with everything going on in the university. I was also the representative to the larger student body of the Arts and Science Federation of Associations. Also, working closely with the director of journalism afforded me the opportunity to work in the department as an admissions assistant and to be a member of the search committee for a new director of the department – there is only one undergraduate student chosen to sit on the panel, and it was me!

Here I am going on about school when I have done so many other things and had so many other experiences in my life. I have worked as a photographer, as a photo lab technician, and in restaurants (as a waitress, and cook). As I mentioned, I have experienced limited international travel, and look forward to the new experiences that South Korea will offer me. I am more excited about doing this than I am about graduating from university. I know that I will excel at anything I put my mind to, and I hope that you will give me the opportunity to join your team in South Korea.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, that is nicely put!