Sunday 22 June 2008

summer

Summer has supposedly hit London. People were saying this back in May when we had a few weeks of nice weather... but it's been 'tupperware' weather since then. What is tupperware weather? You know, that dull grayness that makes it feel like you're living inside of a tupperware container? It's a new term that L used the other day and I rather think it's a good description of English weather... so I've appropriated it and will use it from now on!

Anyway, as I was saying, summer has officially hit. The solstice was yesterday and tens of thousands of people descended on Stonehenge to celebrate. Sadly, I was not one of them. Instead, I celebrated with a mojito by the canal at an upscale restaurant. We spent the afternoon praying that the tupperware wouldn't get thrown in the dishwasher and thankfully, it didn't! Okay, enough of that analogy...

It was a good mojito and a good afternoon. Then L and I headed out for an evening of drinks and dancing. We woke this morning to bright sun and blue skies! So we did what you have to do when the weather is actually nice, we spent the morning and afternoon in her garden worshiping the sun. I think I got a little colour, which is good since I don't want to be a ghost when I get to Greece in 38 days. Not an easy feat in London. But I'm trying.

Enough about the weather, I know it's boring, but it's news here. It's something that people are always talking about since it dominates our lives. Do I bring my brolly to work today? Should I wear a scarf? Yes, even in the summer, I still wear a scarf in the morning... it's chilly!

Right, I said no more weather. In other news, I have an interview this week for the position of video journalist. It wouldn't be a big move, only a couple of desks over, but I'm hoping and praying that I get it. So Wednesday morning (my time) send <> my way! It would really be a dream come true!

Other than that there isn't much new here... but as I promised to write on Sundays, here I am. I'll be back with more next week... hopefully with something a little more interesting than the weather!

1 Comment:

David White said...

Its sunny in the North today. I think I will leave my unbrella at home.

Liz, great blog, keep up the efforts on posting frequently - I know how hard it can be when not feeling creative. What you write might not always seem interesting to you, but when its so different to our lives it becomes very interesting. I haven't been to London for a couple of years and its great hearing your tales of the big city!