Sunday 29 June 2008

good timing

For those of you who don't know, I had a job interview this week. I applied internally at work for a video journalist position that opened up and figured I'd give it a shot. They've been sending me out reporting for a few weeks when there was no one else to go, which has been fantastic!

So, I was eagerly awaiting my interview, which was with the two people my desk is sandwiched in between. The interview started with a picture test, where I had to look at an image of something or someone that has been in the news and name it and why it was important. I only got seven out of ten... bad me. I recognised them all, but you can't retain everything, can you? Anyway, then I had to take seven stories from that day and choose four to make a news bulletin. I had to explain why I chose the order I did and also what video and interviews I would get to make a good story. I also had to explain how I might make them into a 1:30 package.

Then came the actual interview with the people I sit to next to all day, everyday. They asked some of the typical questions... why are you applying? Who is responsible for knowing about the story before you go out? What would I check for in my kit before leaving? What kind of experience do I have? etc...

It went well, probably in part because I sit next to these people so I wasn't really nervous. It was easy to talk to them and I answered the questions to the best of my ability. But I didn't feel great about it when I walked out. I didn't think when I applied that they would give it to me anyway, and after the interview I was certain that they wouldn't choose me. Not to mention that then they'd have to replace me and I'm so good at my job that they'd want to keep me there. This has happened to me in the past.

But, the stars must have been aligned and in my favour, because on Thursday morning, not 24 hours after my interview they offered me the job!!! I am (or will be as soon as they replace me) the newest VIDEO JOURNALIST at my office!

For those of you who don't know me that well, this is something I have dreamed of since university. This is the reason I am in London. Six months after getting here, I have landed my dream job. I still can't believe it... It won't really sink in until I start. I've always wanted to move to England and there has to be a reason for that, I'm starting to realise that I was right all along and apparently I've come at the right time.

2 comments:

David White said...

Congratulations! Go get 'um Liz!

Patricia said...

Amazing, Way to go Liz!