Tuesday 20 February 2007

the (new) seven wonders of the world

the original seven wonders of the world were chosen by the greeks over two thousand years ago. in 1999, Swiss adventurer (i like the sound of that... now how do you become an "adventurer"???) Bernard Weber decided that it was time to update the list, so he started a campaign to name the new 7 wonders of the world. last year a vote was held over the internet which got the list down to 77 world sites, from the 200 original nominations (over the internet); quite a few less than that of unesco which is up to 830 world heritage sites, and counting.

after narrowing the list to 77, Weber recruited
a panel of architectural experts, chaired by former UNESCO chief Federico Mayor, who whittled down the list to the current 21. they have been visiting the sites and interest in the project has gained momentum - over 20 million people have already voted for the new list, including me. here's the list:

Alhambra, Granada, Spain
Angkor Cambodia got my vote.
Pyramid at Chichén Itzá, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Roman Colosseum, Rome, Italy
Statues of Easter Island, Easter Island, Chile got my vote.
The Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
The Great Wall of China got my vote.
The Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey got my vote.
Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
The Kremlin and Red Square, Moscow, Russia
Machu Picchu, Peru got my vote.
Neuschwanstein Castle, Schwangau, Germany
Petra, Jordan
The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt got my vote.
The Statue of Liberty, New York, USA
Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom got my vote.
Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia
The Taj Mahal , Agra, India
Timbuktu, Mali

the winners will be announced on 07.07.07 (which also happens to be my mom's birthday). that being said, visit the7wonders site to cast your vote and be a part of history!

2 comments:

kim joo mee said...

timbuktu is a world wonder? Well, it's cool to say I've been there, but it wasn't the coolest place I've been at all...ho hum;)

Cherry said...

This is a great post! I am going to forward the 7 wonders voting on the everyone!