Sunday 27 July 2008

ghosts

I was a tourist for an evening this week. We have a sort of social group at work, where everyone pays £2 a month and you get discounts on massages, gyms, and free Christmas and summer parties. The summer party was last week, and this week they had organised a London Walk for whoever wanted to come. We only paid £4 instead of £7... the monthly payment has already paid for itself...


Anyway, on Thursday after work a bunch of us headed down to Embankment tube station to meet out guide, Russell, who would be taking us on the 'Apparitions, Alleyways and Ale' ghost walk.

The work group...

Russell, our 'scary' guide

The first stop, home of Samuel Pepys who haunts the office workers in this building.

The sign on the building.

One of the thousands of gas (yes they still use GAS) lamps that light the alleyways in the West End.

The sign outside the Adelphi Theatre where William Terriss was murdered.

The ALE part of the walk. Tom Cribb still lives in his pub... apparently pulling pints for himself in the middle of the night...

The gravestone of a dog whose ghost supposedly caused hundreds of car crashes by running in the street.


It was an interesting fact learning evening walking around the West End theater district. It wasn't too scary, but he did make a disclaimer at the beginning that it would be up to us what we got out of it. I think it would be a better tour later in the year when it's actually dark at 7:30 PM... It only got dark at the very end when we got to St James's Park.

Anyway, I learned a lot about the area and had a nice long walk, so it was £4 well spent. I would recommend these walks anywhere for a fun evening out... I did one in Edinburgh a few years ago that was amazing... next on my list is the 'Jack the Ripper' walk...

***

In other news, I am moving out of this pit that has been home for the last 7 months, on Wednesday. Thursday I am flying to Greece for R's wedding... SO I won't be posting for a few weeks... but promise a BIG FAT GREEK UPDATE when I get home... that's be somewhere around the 15th of August.

Also, for those of you who don't know (and still read this) I'll be home for a week or two in September... I have to present myself at the British High Commission in Ottawa on the 15th... so keep the weekend of the 19th free for me!!!

1 Comment:

Cherry said...

Hey, congrats on a new place! I can't wait to hear about it. I also can't get over how thin and beautiful you look in all of your photos!!
Have a great time in Greece. Can't wait to see you in September.