Friday 14 March 2008

The English language

When I moved to Korea I knew that I would have a whole new language to contend with. So, in preparation, I learned Hangul (the alphabet, or written Korean) and a few handy phrases. I learned a lot more when I was there.

I am discovering that anywhere you go language will be different, even among countries that speak the same language. I already knew that British and Canadian English had differences, as does American, Australian and South African, but I have been surprised at the number of different and new words I have learned.

These are words that I would never (or very rarely) use in Canada that have become a regular part of my vocabulary. I've been compiling this list for a few weeks with the help of a friend at work... He loves it - it makes him feel like he's teaching me English!!!

1. queue - we all know this means 'to line up', I just never used it before.

2. trousers - as opposed to 'pants', which in England means 'underwear'.

3. post - as in 'the mail'

4. handbag - no, it's not a 'purse', that's where you keep your money, not in a 'wallet'.

5. yob - the closest translation is 'thug', but they're much worse than that, google it.

6. loo - or sometimes lavatory, but not the 'bathroom'.

7. lorry - a 'truck'. ;)

8. hoover - not a 'vacuum'.

9. lift - as opposed to 'elevator'

10. crisps - mmm... my favourite 'chips', but not the french fried kind...

11. chav - closest translation 'white trash', google it.

12. whinge - kind of like 'whining' but more serious.

I have a few more, but they're kind of obvious... packet, corner shop, tube, football, courgette, mobile... I will share more as they come. In the meantime, you can google some of them and see what comes up... 'chav' is kind of fun, where 'yob' is kind of scary...enjoy!

**
On an aside, I still haven't sorted out what I will do about the visa situation. I am working on getting all the documents together so that if I want to get the other one I have the option. I'm starting to think about doing other things though... more on it when/if I sort it all out. Think Asia though... I'm not through with it yet...

2 comments:

Elmobong.com said...

Hey... do they also use Sheila? as they do in OZ?

Anonymous said...

you forgot my favorite: tosser!