Wednesday 20 June 2007

pinkeye

there is an epidemic at my school this week... of conjunctivitis or for the non-medically inclined, pinkeye. everywhere i turned at school today i saw red, oozing, and infected eyes.

western medical experts suggest keeping a kid home for a few days when they have pinkeye because it's so contagious, but not the koreans. the kids will leave for a few classes, go to the doctor and come back, ready to pass it on to their friends - which is the first thing they do, so that everyone gets to miss a class or two.

i'm wondering how long it will take to spread to the teachers room - at least tomorrow i head off to school #2, where hopefully the same thing isn't going on. i've heard, though, that this is totally normal near the end of the semester when exams are approaching. maybe it's an excuse to give their parents when they do so poorly... "i was sick and couldn't study...".

Signs and symptoms

The most common signs and symptoms of pink eye include:

  • Redness in one or both eyes
  • Itchiness in one or both eyes
  • Blurred vision and sensitivity to light
  • A gritty feeling in one or both eyes
  • A discharge in one or both eyes that forms a crust during the night
  • Tearing
sounds lovely, doesn't it?

there are several reasons you can get pinkeye - allergies, bacteria, viruses, but i know these kids give it to each other - i see them do it. i saw one kid wipe his finger on the dirty window sill and then rub it in his eye - i guess he doesn't know all he has to do is get his buddy to poke him in the eye.

despite using my antibacterial hand sanitizer every five minutes today, my eyes are feeling a little itchy... let's hope it's psychosomatic.

3 comments:

kim joo mee said...

It's funny that you say that. one of my students had it today and I brushed the side of his eye and then all of a sudden my eye was really itchy and I got paranoid that I rubbed my eye after touching his...and then I thought I had pink eye and was really pissed...but it hasn't bothered me since. OMG. I love you. MUA

Cherry said...

I had it last week! A few days of eyedrops and it's gone, but it does suck. Good luck and don't let any little kids touch you!

katrina said...

the epidemic has hit my school too...