Thursday 5 April 2007

drama...drama...drama...

no, i'm not leaving teaching for acting... there was a little drama here this evening.

i was making dinner - a yummy "mexican" stir-fry (chicken, peppers, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, pepper). i was going to put it on one of my three tortillas that i still have in my freezer with some salsa and avocado. mmmm.... yummy, right? of course!

everything was done and i was prepping the avocado. 1. cut in half. 2. remove pit. this is where the drama comes in... you know how to remove the pit? stick a knife in it and pull it out of the half that it's stuck in, right? that's how i was taught anyway. so the problem was when the knife went straight through the avocado instead of into the pit... what was on the other side of the avocado? that's right, my hand.

i saw it happen before i felt it. it actually took a couple of seconds to hit me. i'm not a squeamish person and i tend to remain quite calm during emergency situations; this was no exception. i quickly put my hand under running water and applied pressure. a few seconds later i peeked at it. i knew right away that i would need stitches. the knife didn't just cut me, it stabbed me and it looked really deep... so i grabbed a massive wad of paper towel and held it there. i figured if the bleeding stopped within 5 minutes that it might be ok. well, it wasn't.

i grabbed my purse and left thhe house. thank god the realtor for the building was in the hallway. he doesn't speak english at all but i justt kept saying doctor and pointing at the bloody paper towel. he got his car and drove me to the hospital - a place i do not recommend visiting for ant kind of major surgery (more on that when i'm not typing with one hand). thank god he was there though, i don't know what i would have done if he weren't.

anyway, i've got i don't know how many stitches, since i didn't look and now my hand looks like this:

i have to change the dressing tomorrow, and i got some pills... not sure what they are so will ask at school before i take them... anyway... just my luck, isn't it? finally getting over whatever has been plaguing me for the last three weeks, and the laryngitis, and now, this. wish me luck taking a shower and doing the dishes... the nurse said no water can touch it for two weeks... i think that's a load of bull though... but won't be easy for at least a couple of days... here's to a healthier life! ha!

2 comments:

Cherry said...

Aw Liz, I'm sorry to hear that! DOn't you feel like you are cursed sometimes? I hope that it heals well. Have a good Easter weekend!

Travelling Chick said...

oh my god!!! you poor thing!! i did that once as well, cutting a bun in my hand..stupid me...and had 7 stitches!!...sadly, I do remember showering with a plastic bag on...hope it's not too painful and glad you got it sorted!! coming out tonight for some sushi?